Skip to main content

One Night in the Log Cabin (Parental Guidance Suggested)



 Summer after 4th grade, I was a Cub Scout and four of us were chosen to sit at the Pike Theatre in uniform all day on Saturday to collect money for the Will Rogers Institute.  Right after the previews, a film about the Will Rogers Institute would play followed by the lights coming up and our walking around with buckets to collect donations. Aunt Alice Gwin managed the theater - she wasn't really my aunt but the aunt of my cousin so we all called her "Aunt Alice."

We decided to camp out in my log cabin that night.  My log cabin was a birthday gift to which I devoted an entire Blog. Teddy, Dan, and Bob joined me in this adventure (their names have been changed for reasons that will become clear later).

The night started in a pretty standard fashion with everyone telling ghost stories.  There were the standards - the hook, about a parking couple hearing a radio story in which an escaped murderer had a hook for a right hand.  After hearing a noise they drive off and get home to find a hook and blood dangling from the rear door handle.  The always frightful story of another parking couple but this time the boy gets out to investigate a noise and leaves his girlfriend crouched on the floor under a jacket.  He tells her not to get up unless he uses the code tapped on the window.  She hears a tapping, looks up and his destroyed body is hanging from a tree - the tapping produced by her class ring on his pinky hitting the window. These stories were made more terrifying by making them “true” told by someone who knew someone whose cousin knew a person that dated one of the parties involved.  Or occasionally the story was localized, i.e. the murderer was the Chatawa monster!  This was before the term “Urban Legend” was created and besides Magnolia or more specifically Chatawa (both legendary) could hardly qualify as “urban.”

The most terrifying story, however, was based on an actual event that all of us experienced.  The event was a horrible train wreck in downtown Magnolia one year earlier.  We were in the third-grade class when a “BOOM” shook the school building.  Teddy had fallen out of his desk.  A train had struck a gasoline delivery truck that was stalled on the tracks.  The truck exploded and ignited grain storage elevators along the tracks.  Several people were killed and the fire raged for hours.  We all knew one or two people who were killed.  As a matter-of-fact, "Uncle Bobby" who also was not my uncle but Aunt Alice's brother had been one of the victims. The story told that night was that whenever you hear a train whistle all you had to do was look at the darkest part of a dark room and you could see all the men who were killed just walking along and moaning.  My log cabin was only three blocks from the tracks so every hour or so we could hear a train and a fight would break out between those attempting to turn out the lights so that they could see the recently deceased and those of us that were not believers in the supernatural but had no desire to test our disbelief with empirical observation.

For hours we ate junk food, talked about stuff that kids our age were talking about and waited anxiously for the next train so that the scramble could break out again.  Many years later when I saw the movie, "Stand by Me" when the boys started talking around the campfire it reminded me of that night.  At the first sound of the train, Bob would jump up and grab the light cord hanging down from the middle of the cabin, followed closely by either Dan or myself grabbing Bob and tackling him. We would continue long after the train sounds had receded into the night.  Finally, someone would gasp, “stop, the train’s gone!” and we would settle back into the regular conversation.

 Around four o’clock in the morning, Bob said, “Let’s turn out the light and beat off.” This was not an unexpected request from Bob.  None of the rest of us would admit that we even did or thought of such a thing but Bob was constantly suggesting it as a group activity! We made fun of Bob for the suggestion and then a train whistle blew and we were back to our "fight" to control the light.

Frustrated on multiple levels, Bob went to sleep.  That proved to be the biggest mistake made all evening.  I'm not proud of what happened next but "boys will be boys." We put toothpaste on his cheek and tickled his face with a feather until he slapped the toothpaste and smeared it on his face.  We tied his feet to the logs of the wall so that when we shouted, “Fire, fire!  Bob, quick get out, get out!” while holding a flaming Sterno can near his face, he would jump up and fall down.  Then of course for the final act, we put his hand in warm water so that he would wet his sleeping bag.  Wetting the sleeping bag turned out to be our worst idea of the night because Bob had drunk a lot of soft drinks (Aunt Alice had told the counter clerk to give us one candy or small popcorn per movie and free drinks all day) and he peed enough to wet the whole floor of the log cabin getting all four sleeping bags wet.  We were forced to sit outside and talk for the rest of the night. The sun rose and three of us had not slept a single minute.

Just after sunrise Auline (our cook, housekeeper, nanny) arrived and made pancakes for the weary campers.  One by one my friends left, Bob still had a string hanging from his left ankle as he boarded his bike to ride home.  I left the breakfast table and went to bed until mid-afternoon. 

The crazy thing is that even now, more than fifty years later I still have a slight sense of panic when I am in a darkened room and hear a train – it only lasts until I remember Bob and how we tormented him that night.  I feel ashamed and amused at the same time.  Bob, wherever you are I'm sorry!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man on the Moon

Photo by  SHILWANT roy  on  Unsplash July 20, 1969 I remember it well. I arrived at Mississippi State University the day before the landing and moon walk. Earlier that year, in May my father had died leaving me parentless after my mother's death eighteen months earlier. In the Fall of 1968 I applied and was accepted into a program for high school students between the junior and senior years of high school. The program was called Special Program for Academically Talented Students (SPATS) and we participants were able to take college courses for credit to give us a head start when we enrolled after graduation. Because of Daddy's death I was allowed to attend starting in July violating a major SPATS requirement of attending both Summer terms. The advisor/counselor for the program called me and suggested that he "boil down" the orientation I would miss in early June. He told me to NEVER tell any of my professors or fellow students that I was a SPATS (you can pr

Nothing Will Change as a Result of Newtown Murders

First posted on 12/17/2012. Edited and expanded based on feedback from readers and friends and re-posted. Illusion III and Illusion IX suggested by readers. Use of HTML feedback also implemented. As I've read through all the Facebook posts about Newtown, I have become more-and-more depressed about our capability as a country, as a people, to learn from what happened. I also do not believe that anything will happen to prevent the next tragedy. I am not a pessimist, actually I tend to be overly optimistic but we have a number of illusions that we hold to the point of being National Learning Disabilities. These illusions will prohibit true learning and true action from taking place. All of the Learning Disabilities result from illusions that we have embraced and hold so dearly that so far nothing – not facts, not data, not experience, not logic, not science, not religion; NOTHING has shaken our beliefs in these nine fallacious illusions. I will not talk down to anyone or “pr

Pennsylvania Memory

Fall of 1990, in the isolation wing of St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania I am holding the hand of a twenty-four-year-old man, Joey, as he faced death in less than twenty-four hours.  He had asked me to pray for him but my reluctance to pray aloud and my overwhelming emotions at the moment silenced me. I didn’t know Joey that well, and I was not an AIDS-Buddy for anyone let alone Joey whom I had met two months before that night. I had attended several funerals or memorial services since moving to Allentown to work for Air Products and Chemicals. Some of the services were for people I had met briefly or knew through my volunteer work teaching a workshop called “ Eroticizing Safer Sex for Gay Men .” I was at some funerals for men I had never met but attended because their family was not attending, or they had lost all their friends out of fear of contagion or association or through death. I was under constant pressure from friends who were Gay activists or from leaders