Skip to main content

Beginner's Luck or Know How?

Summer 1960, I was eight years old when my Father decided to take me to his fishing camp at Lake Mary, Mississippi. I guess he couldn’t get any of his friends to go with him that weekend because he ended up with Mr. Bill Lacy who was eighty and me in a boat fishing for white perch.

I vaguely remember spending the night in the exotic camp – well exotic to an 8-year-old – and how cool it was to be “roughing it.” The camp had been built on stilts to protect it from periodic floods but years before after the floods were controlled a “ground floor” was added. The camp had all the comforts of home – more-or-less.

The three of us must have made quite a sight on the Lake that Saturday morning. Mr. Bill was a little shaky and so Daddy had to bait his hook for him. I was squeamish about touching the live minnows we used for bait. Since my “weak stomach” was well known by then it only took a couple of loud gags to convince Daddy that he should bait my hooks also! The fish were biting like crazy! I remember lowering my freshly baited hook into the water and watching the red-and-white float disappear as it touched the water!

Sometimes a fish took the bait before the floater even got to the water. It was constant. Mr. Bill was fishing one side of the boat, I fished the other and both of us would swing the hook back to Daddy to bait. I would also swing back the hook with a fish on it so Daddy could remove the fish and either release it if too small or put it on the stringer if it was a keeper. Daddy never even got to put his hook in the water. Besides having to bait the hook and remove the catch he was trying to keep us in the terrific spot we were in by using a wooden paddle. I don’t know if they had invented those little trolling motors that people use now or if he just hadn’t bought one so he did that job too!

We caught an outrageous number of fish but unfortunately, a gar (that’s what Daddy called it – a rainbow colored carnivorous fish) attacked the string and ate a bunch of the fish before Daddy noticed and stopped the attack by hitting the gar with his paddle.

After a couple of hours, Mr. Bill and I were having a great time but Daddy was exhausted. He suggested that we go back to the camp, have lunch and then return to Magnolia. He convinced me to be enthusiastic about leaving by telling me that he would get my picture put in the local paper for the great catch!

We drove home and the photographer/editor from the Magnolia Gazette was waiting for us (slow news weekend I guess). I jumped out of the truck and sped into the house while the adults hung the fish string from the back of Daddy’s truck. I was in such a hurry because I wanted to have an appropriate (and stylish) outfit for the photo. I couldn’t be in the paper in my dirty jeans and t-shirt! I chose white deck pants (called Capri pants these days) with a bright red shirt – the shirt was one of my favorites – it had a v-neckline with red, white, and blue striped material in the v!


My favorite shirt for photos.


I finished the ensemble with a fishing cap that matched the blue in the v-neck material and white socks with navy blue tennis shoes – I thought that I looked impeccable! I wasn’t aware of any of the adults noticing my clothing change or making any comments but I look back now and wonder if someone watching the whole thing wasn’t at least speculating about my sexual orientation. I certainly was not aware that my behavior was suspect or anything out of the ordinary – just did what came naturally.


Newspaper coverage in my "fashionable" ensemble.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man on the Moon

Photo by  SHILWANT roy  on  Unsplash July 20, 1969 I remember it well. I arrived at Mississippi State University the day before the landing and moon walk. Earlier that year, in May my father had died leaving me parentless after my mother's death eighteen months earlier. In the Fall of 1968 I applied and was accepted into a program for high school students between the junior and senior years of high school. The program was called Special Program for Academically Talented Students (SPATS) and we participants were able to take college courses for credit to give us a head start when we enrolled after graduation. Because of Daddy's death I was allowed to attend starting in July violating a major SPATS requirement of attending both Summer terms. The advisor/counselor for the program called me and suggested that he "boil down" the orientation I would miss in early June. He told me to NEVER tell any of my professors or fellow students that I was a SPATS (you can pr

Nothing Will Change as a Result of Newtown Murders

First posted on 12/17/2012. Edited and expanded based on feedback from readers and friends and re-posted. Illusion III and Illusion IX suggested by readers. Use of HTML feedback also implemented. As I've read through all the Facebook posts about Newtown, I have become more-and-more depressed about our capability as a country, as a people, to learn from what happened. I also do not believe that anything will happen to prevent the next tragedy. I am not a pessimist, actually I tend to be overly optimistic but we have a number of illusions that we hold to the point of being National Learning Disabilities. These illusions will prohibit true learning and true action from taking place. All of the Learning Disabilities result from illusions that we have embraced and hold so dearly that so far nothing – not facts, not data, not experience, not logic, not science, not religion; NOTHING has shaken our beliefs in these nine fallacious illusions. I will not talk down to anyone or “pr

Pennsylvania Memory

Fall of 1990, in the isolation wing of St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania I am holding the hand of a twenty-four-year-old man, Joey, as he faced death in less than twenty-four hours.  He had asked me to pray for him but my reluctance to pray aloud and my overwhelming emotions at the moment silenced me. I didn’t know Joey that well, and I was not an AIDS-Buddy for anyone let alone Joey whom I had met two months before that night. I had attended several funerals or memorial services since moving to Allentown to work for Air Products and Chemicals. Some of the services were for people I had met briefly or knew through my volunteer work teaching a workshop called “ Eroticizing Safer Sex for Gay Men .” I was at some funerals for men I had never met but attended because their family was not attending, or they had lost all their friends out of fear of contagion or association or through death. I was under constant pressure from friends who were Gay activists or from leaders