Skip to main content

My Log Cabin - Yes, I Was Spoiled

I grew up in Magnolia, Mississippi and I wasn't aware as a child but I was spoiled.  The third child, the baby, and the only boy.  My father's father had been the only son in his family of 10 kids so the continuation of the Gardner name fell on his shoulders.  My father had three brothers and two sisters but one of his brothers, Uncle Paul never had children, one of his brothers Uncle Preacher had three girls and his baby brother, Uncle Roy had two boys.  We three boys now owned that burden of carrying on the name so we got special treatment and besides, we were growing up in the fifties when all males were enjoying a lot of male privileges. When I think back on my childhood a certain birthday present stands out as illustrative of my treatment in the family.

Eight years old I remember vividly riding in the middle of the front seat of our car. I was sitting on the lowered armrest between Mother and Daddy with my sisters Joy and Jinya Lea in the back seat. We were on a gravel road which means most likely headed to my grandparents' home in Liberty for Sunday dinner.  Daddy was driving and Mother was hassling me about needing to decide what I wanted for my upcoming birthday.  She had been asking for weeks and I hadn't come up with an answer.  I wasn't trying to be difficult it was just that  I had pretty much everything that I wanted. Mother was being particularly insistent that day and I began to feel panicky,  I couldn't imagine that she would make good on her threat to not get me anything but I didn't want to push it too far.

I looked out the window and saw a kid climbing from under a card table.  The card table was covered with a plastic tarp with logs drawn on it and a door with a sign above it reading "Davy Crockett's Log Cabin."  Now I had been a Davy Crockett fan from way back.  I had a coon skin hat for the Magnolia Centennial in 1957, and I wore that cap until it fell apart.  The day of the Centennial parade, I actually fished the cap out of the toilet and wore it in the parade!  In grade school, I had a lunch box with Crockett firing at a grizzly bear painted on one side and in the middle of a knife fight with an Apache painted on the other side.  I was very proud of that lunch box - so proud that the only physical fight I ever got in was over it!  So you get the picture that I loved Davy Crockett!
1956 - Mother, me (in coon-skin cap pulled from toilet a couple of hours before this photo), and my sister Joy.

2017 - I loved my lunch box so much I've kept it for 57 years so far!

I blurted out, "I'd like a log cabin for my birthday." My vision of this log cabin was the tarp over a table like the one I had seen on the road to Liberty but the next week construction started in the far back of our yard.  Four men cleared a spot, built a pier and beam floor and started hauling logs cut down on our farm a few miles outside Magnolia.  When it was finished it was quite a playhouse! Built out of real logs (caulked with concrete), a tin roof, electricity for a central light fixture and two wall plugs, two windows that opened with curtains, and a sign above the door that read,"Bill's Log Cabin."  It was ten by ten and located about 15 feet beyond our wading pool.

We had so many adventures camping out in the Log Cabin, playing Cowboys and Indians, and starting clubs.  Once when I had outgrown the playhouse stage we housed a calf from our farm that was rejected by her heifer mother in the cabin. We put hay on the floor and tried to save the calf with bottle feed but she did not survive.  Later when we added a swimming pool the cabin became a changing room and storage shed for pool chemicals.  After my folks died and we sold the property Auline Scott who worked for my family moved the cabin to her house.  As far as I know, it's still storing stuff. 

What a great childhood to be loved and spoiled but I honestly thought at the time that every other kid my age got the same treatment.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man on the Moon

Photo by  SHILWANT roy  on  Unsplash July 20, 1969 I remember it well. I arrived at Mississippi State University the day before the landing and moon walk. Earlier that year, in May my father had died leaving me parentless after my mother's death eighteen months earlier. In the Fall of 1968 I applied and was accepted into a program for high school students between the junior and senior years of high school. The program was called Special Program for Academically Talented Students (SPATS) and we participants were able to take college courses for credit to give us a head start when we enrolled after graduation. Because of Daddy's death I was allowed to attend starting in July violating a major SPATS requirement of attending both Summer terms. The advisor/counselor for the program called me and suggested that he "boil down" the orientation I would miss in early June. He told me to NEVER tell any of my professors or fellow students that I was a SPATS (you can pr

Nothing Will Change as a Result of Newtown Murders

First posted on 12/17/2012. Edited and expanded based on feedback from readers and friends and re-posted. Illusion III and Illusion IX suggested by readers. Use of HTML feedback also implemented. As I've read through all the Facebook posts about Newtown, I have become more-and-more depressed about our capability as a country, as a people, to learn from what happened. I also do not believe that anything will happen to prevent the next tragedy. I am not a pessimist, actually I tend to be overly optimistic but we have a number of illusions that we hold to the point of being National Learning Disabilities. These illusions will prohibit true learning and true action from taking place. All of the Learning Disabilities result from illusions that we have embraced and hold so dearly that so far nothing – not facts, not data, not experience, not logic, not science, not religion; NOTHING has shaken our beliefs in these nine fallacious illusions. I will not talk down to anyone or “pr

Pennsylvania Memory

Fall of 1990, in the isolation wing of St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania I am holding the hand of a twenty-four-year-old man, Joey, as he faced death in less than twenty-four hours.  He had asked me to pray for him but my reluctance to pray aloud and my overwhelming emotions at the moment silenced me. I didn’t know Joey that well, and I was not an AIDS-Buddy for anyone let alone Joey whom I had met two months before that night. I had attended several funerals or memorial services since moving to Allentown to work for Air Products and Chemicals. Some of the services were for people I had met briefly or knew through my volunteer work teaching a workshop called “ Eroticizing Safer Sex for Gay Men .” I was at some funerals for men I had never met but attended because their family was not attending, or they had lost all their friends out of fear of contagion or association or through death. I was under constant pressure from friends who were Gay activists or from leaders