Skip to main content

Gay People Are Weaker?

Today I decided to go home for lunch - my third sinus infection in two months was making me feel like I needed some alone time.

After fixing a sandwich and sitting down at the table I clicked the television on to Court TV or maybe it's called TruTV now? Anyway, coverage was focused on the conclusion of a trial involving a man accused in the robbery and murder of a Gay man. It seems that three men had been arrested when they were selling the victim's car and the defendant on trial admitted that he was involved in selling the car but that he had not participated in the murder. He actually said when he found out they were going to kill the man to get the car he told them he didn't want any part of murder but would help sell the car. He must have gotten bad legal advice because admitting what he did made him as guilty as if he had pulled the trigger (or in this case, handled the knife) under Florida law. Or maybe he was just stupid because between his arrest and the time of trial he got several tattoos on his face including one of a knife made to look as if it entered his forehead just above the eyebrow, passed behind his eye and exited at his cheek - pretty stupid given that the victim was stabbed to death!

I was intrigued by all the references to the deceased being Gay because it seemed to have nothing to do with the charges. The defendant was NOT charged with a hate crime so why did the commentators insist on including "Gay" as a descriptor every time he was mentioned?

After a commercial break one of the alternate jurors was interviewed. He seemed like a reasonable guy. He didn't get to vote because he was an alternate but he agreed with the verdict (guilty of Murder in the Second Degree) because he didn't believe that the prosecutor was able to prove that he was present at the murder. He was a 54 year old White guy who said that he had "waited 54 years before getting called for jury duty and considered it a privilege and a responsibility..." So far, so good. He was asked about the tattoos, specifically, "did the tattoos make him seem more guilty or have any impact on your assessment of him?" He replied, "lots of young people today get tattoos in places that seem strange to people my age and the judge told us to ignore them, so no I don't think the tattoos had any impact at all." Still seems reasonable, right?

The next question was, "Originally the defendant was charged under a hate crime law but the prosecutor decided that the evidence was not solid enough so that charge was dropped. In your opinion, did the victim's sexual orientation have anything to do with his being chosen by the three defendants?" His answer was, "Well I don't think that they picked him because they hate Gay people but because he made a convenient victim. You know, Gay people are weaker and won't fight back like regular people."

I'm not sure what shocked me more - that ignorant answer OR the fact that the commentator moved on to the next question without batting an eye! If that kind of answer was given matching ANY other minority with their stereotype I really think that the interviewer would have made a comment about it. Am I wrong? We remain the only minority that it is okay and expected to bash with no repercussion. As we say in Texas, that just ain't right!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man on the Moon

Photo by  SHILWANT roy  on  Unsplash July 20, 1969 I remember it well. I arrived at Mississippi State University the day before the landing and moon walk. Earlier that year, in May my father had died leaving me parentless after my mother's death eighteen months earlier. In the Fall of 1968 I applied and was accepted into a program for high school students between the junior and senior years of high school. The program was called Special Program for Academically Talented Students (SPATS) and we participants were able to take college courses for credit to give us a head start when we enrolled after graduation. Because of Daddy's death I was allowed to attend starting in July violating a major SPATS requirement of attending both Summer terms. The advisor/counselor for the program called me and suggested that he "boil down" the orientation I would miss in early June. He told me to NEVER tell any of my professors or fellow students that I was a SPATS (you can pr

Goodbye My Friend

My best friend Kit Glenn died yesterday. He died. Kit was five years younger than I and he died. From lung cancer. Yes, he was a smoker for a large part of his life and now he's gone. I'm not sure why or even if that's important but when I tell someone that my best friend died and he was five years younger than I, people always say, "was he a smoker?" As if that makes my grief any less or as if I don't have to worry since I never smoked? I know I'm being repetitive saying he died so many times, but since our mutual friend Susan called and said, "He's gone buddy," I find that I am unable to believe that he is no longer living and I also find it impossible to use past tense when people ask about him - "he 'is'" in every sentence I mutter - "he 'was'" just doesn't work. I know the stages of grief and I know I'm in denial but it's more than that. The impact that Kit has on my life hasn't

Nothing Will Change as a Result of Newtown Murders

First posted on 12/17/2012. Edited and expanded based on feedback from readers and friends and re-posted. Illusion III and Illusion IX suggested by readers. Use of HTML feedback also implemented. As I've read through all the Facebook posts about Newtown, I have become more-and-more depressed about our capability as a country, as a people, to learn from what happened. I also do not believe that anything will happen to prevent the next tragedy. I am not a pessimist, actually I tend to be overly optimistic but we have a number of illusions that we hold to the point of being National Learning Disabilities. These illusions will prohibit true learning and true action from taking place. All of the Learning Disabilities result from illusions that we have embraced and hold so dearly that so far nothing – not facts, not data, not experience, not logic, not science, not religion; NOTHING has shaken our beliefs in these nine fallacious illusions. I will not talk down to anyone or “pr