Skip to main content

I Don't Feel Secure Traveling - Part 2

Last September the TSA "adjusted" the ban on traveling with liquids, gels, and aerosols as stated on their web site...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Specifically they said...

1. Air travelers may now carry liquids, gels and aerosols in their carry-on bag when going through security checkpoints.

With certain exceptions for prescription and over-the-counter medicines, baby formula and breast milk, and other essential liquids, gels, and aerosols, the following rules apply to all liquids, gels, and aerosols you want to carry through a security checkpoint.

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.

I get the needing to limit amounts of liquids, gels etc. because someone might mix up explosive chemicals but the size of the container regardless of the amount included makes no sense at all. I could bring ten three ounce containers for a total of 30 ounces but I can't bring one ounce in it's all that's left of a four ounce container.

Let me tell you how strictly they enforce this - I had a hair gel container that had enough gel for two or three days but the original amount contained was four ounces so TSA in Austin confiscated the deadly and highly dangerous hair gel!! I did not feel safer just more unkempt for the rest of the trip! :-)

2. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.

Okay sometimes I can be oppositional and defiant so I tested this one. I bought a clear ziplock travel container from the Container Store http://www.containerstore.com/ that measured eight and a half inches by eleven inches for my traveling gels etc. In Austin, they accepted it and in Frankfurt, Germany they accepted it. Dresden Germany accepted it. In San Jose the TSA guy said that it was not an appropriate container so he got a quart sized zip lock and moved all my stuff to it and then handed it to me! Were the gels etc. dangerous in the clear plastic bag but not in the quart sized bag??

I tried again in Austin and get this - the TSA agent put the clear container down and showed me how big a quart sized bag would be - when he placed his hands he said, "see this wouldn't all fit in a quart bag so you'll need to throw something away." I took a small travel sized toothpaste tube out and was allowed to continue through the line!! This time the bag was okay but the toothpaste being in there made the whole lot dangerous??

Finally...

3. Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.

In Toronto, I forgot and left my Flonase allergy spray in my suitcase in the Dopp kit. The agent examined my plastic bag and said it was all okay but the X-Ray agent said, "looks like Flonase in the suitcase." I confirmed that it was indeed Flonase so an agent in rubber gloves opened my suitcase, dug out the offending nasel spray and put it in my zip lock bag which I then put back into the suitcase and zipped it all up. I felt so much more secure knowing that the Flonase was now in the ziplock and not allowed to stir up the razor, q-tips, and other stuff in the dopp kit!!
Again - lots of cargo comes in without so much as a look and is boarded in the bay of the plane but I am more secure HOW???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man on the Moon

Photo by  SHILWANT roy  on  Unsplash July 20, 1969 I remember it well. I arrived at Mississippi State University the day before the landing and moon walk. Earlier that year, in May my father had died leaving me parentless after my mother's death eighteen months earlier. In the Fall of 1968 I applied and was accepted into a program for high school students between the junior and senior years of high school. The program was called Special Program for Academically Talented Students (SPATS) and we participants were able to take college courses for credit to give us a head start when we enrolled after graduation. Because of Daddy's death I was allowed to attend starting in July violating a major SPATS requirement of attending both Summer terms. The advisor/counselor for the program called me and suggested that he "boil down" the orientation I would miss in early June. He told me to NEVER tell any of my professors or fellow students that I was a SPATS (you can pr

Goodbye My Friend

My best friend Kit Glenn died yesterday. He died. Kit was five years younger than I and he died. From lung cancer. Yes, he was a smoker for a large part of his life and now he's gone. I'm not sure why or even if that's important but when I tell someone that my best friend died and he was five years younger than I, people always say, "was he a smoker?" As if that makes my grief any less or as if I don't have to worry since I never smoked? I know I'm being repetitive saying he died so many times, but since our mutual friend Susan called and said, "He's gone buddy," I find that I am unable to believe that he is no longer living and I also find it impossible to use past tense when people ask about him - "he 'is'" in every sentence I mutter - "he 'was'" just doesn't work. I know the stages of grief and I know I'm in denial but it's more than that. The impact that Kit has on my life hasn't

Nothing Will Change as a Result of Newtown Murders

First posted on 12/17/2012. Edited and expanded based on feedback from readers and friends and re-posted. Illusion III and Illusion IX suggested by readers. Use of HTML feedback also implemented. As I've read through all the Facebook posts about Newtown, I have become more-and-more depressed about our capability as a country, as a people, to learn from what happened. I also do not believe that anything will happen to prevent the next tragedy. I am not a pessimist, actually I tend to be overly optimistic but we have a number of illusions that we hold to the point of being National Learning Disabilities. These illusions will prohibit true learning and true action from taking place. All of the Learning Disabilities result from illusions that we have embraced and hold so dearly that so far nothing – not facts, not data, not experience, not logic, not science, not religion; NOTHING has shaken our beliefs in these nine fallacious illusions. I will not talk down to anyone or “pr